By L F Anderson and D D Ames - 1975
I remember when you came to live with us
A bony little body, ears that crossed your head
A smile on your handsome dog face
I remember the socks you chewed,
The curtains you tore and wood you stripped
All because we left you alone in our place
I remember our trip to Colorado, what scenery
The snake you protected us against
The damage to the interior of the car
I remember you keeping the cattle and horses away
You watched all the children with such care
We knew if needed you wouldn't be far
I remember you were bossy, a leader at birth
If another dog didn't mind their manners
They earned your wrath with a bite on the nose
I remembers your manners sometimes
Not exactly at their best, when you urinated on
Mrs. Price and Pony, soiling their clothes
I remember the long and worried nights
When you didn't come home, you bad boy
I'm certain every dog in the neighborhood knew you
I remember you loves and kindness
And the happiness you gave everyone
It was your destiny to join us, and start anew
I remember your athletic ability as you played catch
You never missed the ball, where were the scouts?
You were first string in our minds, a hero every time
I remember as you got older, some days weren't as good
You tried to keep going, but napped longer each day
The end was coming soon, not fair, such a crime
I remember your last night on earth, you were at peace
We talked for hours about all your great deeds
You gave us such joy, the memories were plenty and full
I remember thinking of your place in Heaven, well deserved
There were a few rough spots that final night
But you came through it pretty good, strong and peaceful
I remember so much more about you that I'd like to say
I could write for days on how much you meant to us
You were tired at the end, yet you had a smile on your face
I remember you raised your head before you said goodbye
To let us know that your enjoyed your life with us
And you knew by our looks, that no dog would ever take your place
No comments:
Post a Comment